Twelve Useful Stats Every MENA Jobseeker Should Know
1. Attitude matters
28.8% of employers in the MENA look for ‘hunger, drive and ambition’ as the most important factors when making a hiring decision.
2. It’s all about your transferable skills
67.2% employers don’t mind hiring a candidate who has the relevant skills but no direct experience in the company’s field.
3. A shoddy CV won’t take you places
The biggest mistake that jobseekers make, according to 21.3% of MENA employers, is having poor language on their CV.
4. Interview preparation is important
20% of MENA employers consider poor preparation prior to interviews to be the biggest turn-off in potential employees.
5. Having an online CV is essential
32.5% of MENA professionals found their last job online.
6. Senior level recruitment has also moved online
50.5% of MENA employers recruit senior executive talent online; 18.3% through networking and events and 14% through traditional headhunters.
7. Having a professional online Public Profile is imperative
57% of MENA employers maintain they “always” research candidates online before they hire them and a further 27.9% do so “frequently”.
8. Patience is essential during the job search
Only 34.2% of polled professionals say it can take 1 month or less to hire a senior executive. 34.1% maintain it takes between 1 and 3 months; 13.8% between 3 and 6 months; 7.6% maintain between 6 and 12 months and 10.3% say it can take more than a year.
9. A large segment of MENA employers favor growing top ranks from within
42.2% of employers say they “rarely hire new talent” at top levels and prefer promoting from within. However, 27% “very regularly hire new talent” for senior executive roles and a further 31% maintain they “always” look outside the organization for executive roles.
10. Career changes are easier earlier on in one’s career
45.1% of MENA professionals maintain it becomes harder to change jobs as they rise up the career ranks.
11. The grass is not always greener when it comes to compensation
12. It is possible to enjoy work!
49% of MENA professionals maintain they enjoy their job “on most days” and a further 25% also maintain they enjoy their job but only “on some days”.